Many problems can be avoided with preemptive action. But choosing a safe and effective course of action is not always easy—it requires knowledge and understanding of the law and the potential consequences. Whether you are an individual, municipality, or business, we can provide you with the necessary advice and counsel to craft your policies and decisions to avoid unnecessary problems and liabilities and to put you in the best position possible when conflicts arise.
Our experienced attorneys offer insight in light of their trial experience and extensive knowledge of the law. Together, we will help ensure that your decisions and actions will hold up in Court and to public scrutiny—decisions that will maximize your benefits and goals in both the short term and long run.
Whether you are a business crafting an employment policy or dealing with a dispute; a town revising its bylaws or setting a policy for accessing public documents; or an individual trying to avoid a conflict with a neighbor, our firm has the tools you need to make the right choice.
We also provide representation in the following areas:
- Business Law, Corporate Planning, and Commercial Law
- Our firm provides corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and sole proprietorships with representation in a wide variety of business settings. From establishing your company—selecting the form of business entity, drafting the governance documents to meet your particular needs and goals, limit liability, and ensure your control over the development and growth of your business—to helping you dissolve the enterprise, our attorneys are prepared to advise you in each phase of your business to ensure that your company can take full advantage of corporate and business laws to reach your goals. We can also help your company negotiate and contract to ensure that your business has every advantage possible.
- When conflicts or legal issues arise in your business, Tarrant, Gillies, Richardson & Shems is prepared to represent you. We have represented businesses and individuals with a variety of legal challenges as well as business opportunities. We will help you work with other businesses to ensure that you negotiate agreements to effectively protect your rights and interests, that you receive the benefits of your existing agreements, and that you are not left at the mercy of changing business situations.
- Construction Law
- Our firm has experience representing some of the largest construction companies as well as individual homeowners in conflicts over construction. Whether you are a contractor facing an unhappy client, or an owner dissatisfied with a contractor’s work, we can help you work it out.
- Employment Law
- Effective management of employee relations—from hiring, retaining, and terminating employees—is critical to the success of a business. We work with our business clients to develop employment policies and practices that ensure their managers and directors make and implement decisions in a manner that will best serve and protect the business’s legal interests.
- Our firm also recognizes that sometimes, despite the parties’ best efforts, employment relationships cannot be salvaged. When that time comes, we can help you—whether you are an employee or employer—fight for what you deserve.
- Estate Planning, Probate and Guardianship Law
- We provide representation to families and individuals in probate matters to assist them in the following areas: estate planning; drafting wills, trusts, durable powers of attorney, and advance directives; estate administration; and resolving disputes among beneficiaries. We can also guide you through the process to create or manage guardianships for individuals in need of care.
- Health Care Law
- With the growth of cost in health care and increased scrutiny, now more than ever you need someone who can help you represent your interests. Our firm has worked with individuals, medical centers, and health care providers to navigate the extensive layers of federal and state regulation. Our experience with governmental policy informs the advice and advocacy we give to help you find solutions that work today.
- Historic Preservation
- Vermont is a state with a rich, living history. We at Tarrant, Gillies, Richardson & Shems have a long-standing commitment to helping individuals, groups, and municipalities preserve their historic assets. We represent clients in design control hearings, establishing conservation trusts, fighting for important landmarks, or working with state and federal agencies to find ways to make a project feasible.
- Landlord / Tenant
- We provide advice and dispute resolution services, including representation in litigation, to both landlords and tenants in the commercial and residential context.
- Property Tax Law
- Our attorneys bring a wealth of experience from state government and municipal representation to help you prepare, defend, or challenge property tax determinations. Our firm can take you through assessments and work with municipal and state agencies to ensure that property is taxed at a fair and equitable rate.
- Real Estate
- Whether purchasing or selling a home, property, or business, Vermont law requires the parties to know a great deal about the real estate being traded. At Tarrant, Gillies, Richardson & Shems we can help ensure that your transaction goes as smoothly as possible and that you get the benefit of your bargain.